New Date: 4 Days – Tuesday 3rd to Friday 6th August 2021
Accommodation: Roxby Downs Motor Inn
Highlights of the tour:
- « Join us for an outback adventure driving through the mid north and then onto more remote parts of South Australia.
- « Morning tea at Port Wakefield. See the town Mural.
- « Quick stop at Pt August for you to buy your lunch, then back on the coach travelling through Pimba and arriving at Roxby Downs where we will stay for the next 3 nights at the Roxby Downs Motor Inn.
- « Visit iconic Andamooka where we will be shown around by a local. Learn about all things opal mining and see the unusual landscape dotted with “diggings”
- « Back to Roxby Downs for a guided 3 hour “Roxby Discovery Tour” with a video on the “Olympic Dam Story Presentation” and a “virtual” underground mine tour.
- « Board their bus for a tour of the Olympic Mine site and a look “behind the fence”. Visit the Arid Recovery Reserve where you will learn about their conservation programme and watch the sun set while enjoying some light refreshments.
- « Drive to Woomera, an artificial town specifically designed by the Long Range Weapons Board of Administration to provide facilities and accommodation for scientists, technicians and ancillary staff who came to work at the isolated experimental station which was used to test rockets, weapons and missiles. During the 1960’s it was home to around 5000 but today has a population of around 120.
- « Learn about the amazing Len Beadell, a surveyor who with a small team built 6,500 kms of roads opening up Central Australia, including the famous Gunbarrel Highway. See his final resting place and monument at the Woomera cemetery.
- « Visit the Aircraft and Missile Park and the Woomera Heritage Centre, which incorporates the Outback diner where you can purchase lunch.
- « Travel home, stopping for lunch at Pt Augusta and Snowtown to see the “Big Blade” and the murals, before the final leg of our journey back to Adelaide ending what will hopefully be a memorable journey of knowledge and fun.
- « Morning tea provided on Day 1
- « Cooked breakfasts each morning at the Roxby Downs Inn
- « 2 course Lunch on Day 2 at the Tuckerbox Hotel
- « 2 course lunch on Day 4 at Pt Augusta
- « 2 course dinners at the Roxby Downs Inn on Days 1 & 3
- « Fully escorted with a fun and friendly tour host
COMPLIMENTARY HOME PICK AND RETURN TO SELECTED SUBURBS
Twin/Double Share: $1,195 per person
Single Supplement: $130 for 3 nights